Working at NRCM
NRCM strives to provide a supportive work environment through fair and competitive compensation and benefits, up-to-date equipment and IT support, adequate supervision, and ongoing professional development. The work environment is friendly, fun, cooperative, and very fast-paced. Staff members need to be able to work independently and adapt to changing priorities. We are committed to ensuring that our staff members actively work on diversity and inclusion in the field. This work is supported by staff policy, training, and mentoring, and through fostering an organization that prioritizes fairness and respect.
Our office is located in Augusta near the State House. During the COVID-19 pandemic, all staff whose job responsibilities can be conducted away from the office have been working remotely, with the option to come into the office on a prearranged basis.
NRCM is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, age, ethnicity, race, religion, physical/mental ability, sexual orientation, or national origin. NRCM will provide reasonable accommodation to employees with disabilities where appropriate. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Common NRCM Job Responsibilities
NRCM is committed to a positive work culture where diversity is honored and respected. To this end, all employees are expected to:
- Maintain positive and productive working relationships with all NRCM staff members and also with NRCM’s members, external partners, policymakers, and the general This includes proactive work on understanding and addressing issues related to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice; providing and receiving constructive feedback; and a willingness to resolve conflicts constructively.
- Participate in organizational meetings and activities as requested, such as monthly staff meetings, trainings, and ad hoc planning committees.
- Complete all administrative work on time, such as time sheets, purchase orders, project reports, and planning documents.
- Be familiar with and follow organizational protocols and policies.
Physical Requirements of the Job
The job requires working at a computer station for substantial lengths of time; performing office duties such as phoning, filing, and copying, and the ability to lift objects up to 10 pounds.
NRCM will provide reasonable accommodation to employees with disabilities where appropriate. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
NRCM is committed to providing fair and competitive compensation to its employees. We base our compensation decisions on:
- A biennial market survey of comparable organizations and localities.
- An evaluation of employee qualifications that does not discriminate on the basis of gender, age, race, religion, physical/mental ability, sexual orientation, or national origin.
- High employee performance that advances our strategic plan and other organizational priorities.
- Availability of financial resources for the organization.
NRCM pays 100% of the premium for the employee and 60% of the premium for additional family members. The employee is eligible for this benefit the first of the month following employment.
Health Reimbursement Account (HRA)
All employees that participate in NRCM’s health insurance plan are eligible for the HRA, a healthcare plan paid by NRCM, that reimburses medical expenses approved through our health insurance provider.
Flexible Spending Accounts
Employees may contribute, through payroll deductions, on a pre-tax basis to a health and childcare reimbursement account program.
NRCM pays life insurance premiums for each eligible employee for coverage up to one time annual salary with a maximum coverage of $50,000. The employee is eligible for this benefit three full months after the date of employment.
Short- & Long-term Disability
NRCM employees are covered for short- and long-term disability through the UNUM Life Insurance Company of America. NRCM pays the premium for this coverage for all eligible employees. This coverage goes into effect three full months after the date of employment.
NRCM offers a tax-deferred 403(b) plan to allow employees to plan for retirement. After a six-month provisional period, NRCM will contribute 5% of an employee’s annual salary, with an additional 2% matching component to employees contributing at least 2% of their annual salary to their retirement fund.
During their first year, employees accrue three weeks of paid vacation time. This increases to four weeks in subsequent years. Starting at year five, employees accrue another day a year for five years, reaching a total of five weeks (25 vacation days) annually.
NRCM employees also receive generous time off for sick days, parental leave, sabbatical, and more.
YMCA membership, professional development, computer equipment loans, energy efficiency loans, and more.
Banner photo by J.Monkman/NRCM