Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument was established on August 24, 2016, in conjunction with the 100th anniversary of the National Park Service. Prior to the designation of Katahdin Woods and Waters, Elliotsville Plantation Inc. (EPI) commissioned studies to determine the likely economic benefits a national park and national recreation area would bring to Maine’s Katahdin region.
One study focused on the economic history of the region itself. Another looked at regions around the United States that shared similarities with the Katahdin region, but that already had a nearby national park, national recreation area, or both.
Headwaters Economics performed the studies. Click the links below to learn more.
- National park and recreation area economic studies: news release
- Summary of national park and recreation area economic studies
- Study of regional economy in area of possible national park
- Study of economy in areas near rural national parks and recreation areas
- Map of area considered in economic study