Keep a bottle of vinegar (any kind) in your cupboard. You can use it to wash your windows, remove tough food residues from cookware, clear out plugged drains, remove mold from your bathroom grout, and more. To view more tips, click here. To subscribe to our Tip of the Day RSS feed, click here.
Avoid perfumes and scented shampoo and soaps. Personal care products are largely unregulated and may contain phthalates that can affect reproductive health. A government study found that one of these chemicals, called dibutyl, was present in every person tested for industrial pollutants. Choosing unscented products reduces your risk. To view more tips, click here. To Read More
To avoid falls in your icy driveway, sprinkle unscented cat litter, sand, or wood ash instead of salt or chemical de-icers, which can be harmful to nearby trees, animals, and water bodies. To view more tips, click here. To subscribe to our Tip of the Day RSS feed, click here.
Make toothpaste naturally by mixing a teaspoon of baking soda with one-half teaspoon of finely ground sea salt and a drop of water. Flavor with a touch of peppermint or other pure essential oil. Commercial toothpaste may contain the same foaming agents found in some shampoos – along with lye, synthetic dyes, artificial sweeteners, and Read More
Springtime painting projects? Use latex paint instead of oil-based paint, which contain toxic “VOC”s — volatile organic compounds. To view more tips, click here. To subscribe to our Tip of the Day RSS feed, click here.
Make your own natural mold inhibitor by mixing three tablespoons white vinegar with two cups hot water in a pump-spray bottle, then spray in mold-growing areas—no rinsing, let the vinegar evaporate. Get more great cleaning “recipes” from NRCM’s Clean and Healthy Housekeeping brochure. To view more tips, click here. To subscribe to our Tip of the Read More
Mix equal parts vinegar and water in a pump-spray bottle, clean, and rinse with a damp cloth. It really is that easy—and safe! For other great non-toxic cleaning recipes, download NRCM’s Clean and Healthy Housekeeping brochure. To view more tips, click here. To subscribe to our Tip of the Day RSS feed, click here. Read More
A pan covered with a non-stick coating such as Teflon can heat to more than 700 degrees in less than five minutes, releasing toxic gases including carcinogens. Avoid the risk by using enamel, cast-iron, or stainless steel cookware. Bonus: many cooks agree that these are a better for cooking and are more durable. To view Read More
The impairment caused by a child breathing or ingesting even minuscule particles is irreversible. By Nicole Witherbee and Pamela Dietz Portland Press Herald op-ed Imagine three granules of sugar. That’s how little lead dust it takes to poison a child, causing lifelong learning and behavior problems. Yet current Maine law allows three times the federal Read More