AUGUSTA (NEWS CENTER) — An environmental watchdog group issued a warning Tuesday about the amount of hazardous chemicals in everyday products. The study by “The Alliance for a Clean and Healthy Maine” found a surprising amount of toxins in the bodies of 13 volunteers.
The chemicals that showed up in people’s systems can be found in common items like nail polish, reusable water bottles and furniture. Participants in the study were shocked by the results.
“I was most concerned about the flame retardants. Although of course I’m concerned about all of it. But the flame retardants are something that are passed through breast milk,” said Amy Graham of Farmington.
The alliance wants the legislature to make things safer by requiring companies to offer safer alternatives, prove their goods are safe for infants and children, and test every chemical before putting it in the marketplace.
“All of us need to be demanding of the federal government that they take action on this issue. I think we should be outraged that the kind of chemicals that are put in our bodies, that are put in our food, put in our cosmetics, they’re impacting all of us and the average American has no idea,” said Rep. Hannah Pingree of North Haven.