Contacting your legislator is an effective way to make your voice heard and to influence their votes on issues that are important to you.
When writing or calling:
- Introduce yourself. Let them know where you live and what you do
- Mention the bill’s LD number and the title of the bill.
- Describe why this bill is important to you. Personal stories resonate well.
- Encourage your legislator to vote a certain way (either for or against).
- Again, mention the bill’s LD number and how you would like them to vote.
- Thank your legislator for their time and hard work serving your community.
If you have questions about contacting your legislator, contact Todd Martin, NRCM Outreach Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or (800) 287-2345 ext 215. Thank you for making your voice heard!
Meet Your Legislators at Citizen Action Day
Every year, NRCM is proud to host our members and supporters for Citizen Action Day — a day for Maine citizens to come to the State House in Augusta to speak with their legislators about important issues affecting Maine’s environment. After a briefing from NRCM’s policy experts, we accompany folks to the State House to help them connect with their legislators.
NRCM is a well-respected presence in the halls of the State House, but time and time again we hear from legislators that meeting face to face with their constituents makes a big difference. Citizen Action Day provides a great opportunity for you to meet with your legislators and urge them to vote to protect Maine’s environment. Here in Maine, concerned citizens can have a big impact on the outcome of important legislation. We welcome you to join us for a fun and exciting day in Augusta.