The Land for Maine’s Future Program is Maine’s most popular outdoor program.
LMF Works for Maine People
- LMF conserved lands in every Maine county, including mountain summits, rivers, lakes, wildlife habitat, forests, farms and shoreline.
- LMF has protected 444,000 acres, including 247,000 acres in conservation easements, always from willing sellers. LMF conservation easements keep forests and farms working while land stays in private hands.
- LMF conservation projects are open to the public and secure access for hunting, fishing and trapping.
- LMF has conserved over 919 miles of shorefront, 113 miles of rail-trails, and over 5,800 acres of farmland, as well as valuable wildlife habitat, entire islands, and working forests.
- LMF has leveraged nearly $100 million of federal, local and private funds. Since 2000, every LMF dollar has brought in three dollars of matching funds.
Maine People Support LMF
Voters have overwhelmingly passed LMF bonds: $35 million in 1987, $50 million in 1999, $12 million in 2005, and $17 million in 2007. Municipalities invest their own tax dollars in support of LMF projects. Democrat and Republican legislators consistently show strong support for LMF. Year after year, a broad and diverse coalition has supported LMF. LMF serves all Maine citizens – those who fish, hike, farm, raft, bike, hunt, camp, and snowmobile.
Maine Needs LMF Now More Than Ever
- Citizens, towns and landowners from across Maine continue to approach LMF with critical conservation projects. LMF cannot help until funds are renewed.
- Subdivision and sale of working forests, loss of family farms, and sprawl all threaten Maine people’s livelihood and way of life.
- Access for recreational users is routinely being cut off across Maine.
- Maine’s economy is based on protecting its natural resources and quality of place. The Brookings report calls for renewed and consistent funding for LMF.
- Without $20-$25 million per year for LMF, Maine will continue to lose farms, forests, snowmobile trails, shoreline and hunting grounds.