All across Maine, people are looking for holistic approaches that reduce climate-disrupting pollution, eliminate litter, increase recycling and composting, and transition to clean energy.
To that end, NRCM is dedicated to providing you with the tools to be successful in passing community-based sustainability initiatives. That is why we are providing this web-based toolkit, with resources to help you, and your community, move forward toward a sustainable future.
Click on the initiative below for information and resources to help you succeed. We will be regularly adding useful materials to these pages, so check back often!
Sustainable Community Initiatives
- Cigarette Litter Prevention Toolkit — simple, proven solutions for keeping cigarette litter off streets and out of local waterways
- Community Gardens Toolkit — enhancing your community by creating a healthy way to connect, learn, and grow together
- Composting Toolkit — composting is a proven and effective tool for eliminating wastefulness and protecting the environment
- Complete Streets Toolkit — making city streets safe and accessible for pedestrians, cyclists, buses, and automobiles
- Community Solar Toolkit — Power to the people! Community solar projects capitalize on our strength in numbers. Learn about community solar farms, Solarize, and municipal solar projects.
- Foam Container Toolkit — banning single-use foam containers, like coffee cups and take-out containers, in favor of their safer, recyclable counterparts
- Pay As You Throw Toolkit — creating an equitable way to reduce household waste and save money in your town
- Pesticide Ban Toolkit — finding ways to restrict the use of harmful chemicals that negatively impact human health and the environment
- Prevent Wasteful Idling Toolkit — encouraging drivers to shut down their engines when not in use to prevent unnecessary local air pollution
- Reusable Bag Toolkit — discouraging the use of single-use disposal plastic and paper carryout bags through bans and fees
The documents in each initiative toolkit are tailored to fit each specific program; however, here are some useful guides that are helpful for any of the initiatives: